This post is also available in ITALIANO
Choosing a good cooling system is getting fundamental in every big city, to stand the summer heat.
There are vary types of systems with very different characteristics, that’s why you must be careful and maybe ask a technician.
How does a cooling system work?
First of all let’s distinguish the different appliances:
- some cooling systems withdraw the air to filter it out, dehumidify and cool it. Sometimes it can work as a heat pump to heat the room during the winter.
- Others air-conditioners don’t regulate humidity. Always make sure to verify the technical file to understand these two differences.
- Dehumidifiers soak up air humidity and are very useful to dry the laundry.
- Air cleansings simply remove pollens, dust, smog and other form of pollution, but they actually don’t have any coolant role.
Cooling systems then divide in:
- Fixed air-conditioners, having an external engine to dump the hot air. It’s bounded to pipe where flow a coolant fluid.
- Portable air-conditioners. Their advandage is that they don’t require an installation intervention, but they are louder and consume more than the fixed ones.
How to plan an air conditioning system:
Once you’ve found your needs, you must plan the system under the characteristics of your house, reflecting also on energy consumption and use.
Here’s some questions you should ask yourself:
Do we want to cool an entire house or only one room?
You don’t necessarily need to cool the whole dwelling. If you work from home or you have a studio, you may not need a split in the kitchen as well. Or, if you don’t spend a lot of time at home it may be enough to cool only the sleeping quarters.
Do we prefer a simple cooling system or a cooling-heating system?
If the function is exclusively to control the temperature and the summer humidity, the principle characteristics will be different from a system intended to a winter regulation of the temperature. This is because cold air behave differently from the warm one.
That’s why you should address an expert.
Do the condo’s rules allow the installation of an external system?
If you need an external engine you must make sure that the condo’s rules and the landscape regulations permit it.
How to choose the cooling system
Now is the moment to choose.
Here’s the principle categories:
pic by Desivero
The wall split is the most common summer cooling system. It occupies a small space on the wall and, set on the top, it doesn’t reduce the space for the furniture. The air flow is head-on projected and could be perceived as bothering, that’s why you must carefully plan its position. The split is perfect for the summer season, but in winter it tends to create a warm layer at the ceiling that doesn’t mix with the cold air staying at the bottom.
>>> you can find Samsung conditioning system on sale on Desivero.com
It’s similar to the wall-split system, but with a different shape. It’s set under the floor and it looks like a radiator. It has better heating performances, but it aesthetically creates more problems in terms furniture disposal.
Channeled air conditioner
Channeled air conditioners has a least aesthetical impact, because they have the advantage to reduce the number of splits and to set the air flow in the most strategic corners. They allow to reach the most satisfying results in terms of confort, but require a special design that makes them more expensive. What’s more, they need a suspended ceiling, so if you have a low one or masonry one it couls be a problem.
How to evaluate an air conditioning system
Before make the last choice, it’s important to read the principle informations on a technical file
BTU | British Termal Unit
In order to define the right power for every room, you must take into account the cubic metres, the number of the windows, the isolation and the exposition to the environment. You should multiply 340 for the cube metres of the room, so that you obtain the necessary BTU/h.
COP e EER
COP and EER show the efficiency of heating and cooling of air conditioning system. In particular, they refer to the relation between heating and cooling furnished by an heat pump, based on the entry power that generates it. The higher are the VOP and EER values the more efficient are the devices.
It’s important that the air conditioning system is quiet. On the technical file there must be the noise in Decibel (dB). Just you to know, 55 dB is the noise of the wind through the leaves.
The energy class
Very important is the energy class: consider that from Class A to Class B the consumption significantly increases and so do your bills.
I suggest an air conditioning system which is at least Class A+, given that the highest is A+++
How to responsibly use conditioning system
Here some advice:
- Leave a little of room around the advice to permit the right air circulation
- Protect the external device from the direct sunlight.
- Close doors and windows of the room and, if possible, protect it from the sunlight.
- Turn off the system when the room is not used
- Avoid too low temperatures
- Clean the filter every two weeks.
- Control the level of the coolant fluid once a year.
Hope this article is useful!
Let me know your opinion on the comments below or on Facebook.